We often think of a massage therapy as an unnecessary indulgence, however, in the running world it can be quite the contrary. Here are a few reasons why.
1. Break up scar tissue and adhesions within the muscle and surrounding tissues.
2. Improve blood flow to the muscles.
3. Loosen muscles that have become hyper-toned due to overuse.
4. With the improved blood flow, allows for more oxygen to move into the muscle.
5. Improve the lymphatic flow, which aids with the healing process.
6. Improve range of motion and muscle flexibility resulting in improved power and performance.
7. Shorten recovery time between workouts.
8. Maximize the supply of nutrients and oxygen through increased blood flow.
9. Decrease post-event muscle soreness.
10.Psychologically, help to relax the mind and increase your sense of well-being.
Continuous running causes significant strain on muscles and joints that can lead to unwanted injuries, such as muscle strains, plantar fasciitis and IT band syndrome, just to name a few.
Rehab and Prevention – By getting regular massage therapy treatments, you can help decrease the chances of being injured. Often, we find taut, overworked and adhered muscles and surrounding tissues. This tension and adherence causes the muscles to be susceptible to strains (tearing) and injury.
Using deep tissues techniques such as Cross Frictions, Trigger Point Therapy, Swedish Massage and stretching, we break up scar tissue, adhesions between muscle, tendons and ligaments as well as, decrease muscle tension. This improves the overall flexibility and efficiency of the muscles.
Pre-event, massage therapy is excellent for getting your tissues warmed up for the race, as well as, getting your mind prepared and focused on the run.
Post event massage therapy is excellent for: decreasing muscle spasms and tension, increasing circulation to the muscles which facilitates getting nutrients to the cells and removing the waste products and toxins. Psychologically, it relaxes the mind and in-turn eases the general muscle tension.
Don’t wait until you are injured to have your massage, be proactive and book your massage today.